Queen & King of the Bay 2018
Saturday 24th / Sunday 25th , February
Welcome to the 2018 event, the annual surfski race from Kaiteriteri Beach to Port Mapua. It is a 26km paddle along the coastline in Tasman Bay, past Motueka, Kina and Ruby Bay. The prevailing wind in the summer is a northerly which is a tail wind over the paddlers left shoulder. Sea conditions is typically wind generated chop, more like lake conditions as opposed to open ocean. Depending on the lines paddlers take, they can be up to 2.5km from shore during the race.
It is race 4 of the Gold Level events in the New Zealand Paddler Series
START: Kaiteriteri Beach
FINISH: Port Mapua
Registration 12:30pm (Kaiteriteri Beach)
- Division 5 - 1:15pm
- Division 4 - 1:30pm
- Division 3 - 1:40pm
- Division 2 - 1:50pm
- Division 1 - 2:00pm
Paddle times range from 2-3 hours.
$30:00 via email before Feb 1st
$35:00 after Feb 1st - 16th
Pre Entries Close Feb 16th
$40:00 enter on the day
The entry fee primarily covers the cost of the safety vessel, race numbers, prizes, trophy engraving
- first 3 female & male over the line
- fastest time - female & male
- fastest mixed double
Awards @ Mapua Wharf 5:00pm
- Maybe held Sunday 25th due to weather.
- Closer to the event entrants will be updated with weather information, if there are any route changes or if the race will be postponed until Sunday 25th for better weather and conditions. The back up course starts and finishes at Kaiteriteri Beach.
- Water Temperature in February 17-19 degrees
- High tide 5:15pm, January 24th
Best local weather information: http://www.swellmap.co.nz/surfing/new-zealand/ruby-bay
- pfd must be worn
- leg or body leash worn
- 1 x communication device must be carried (epirb, phone, vhf marine radio)
- 1 x signalling tool must be carried (whistle, mirror, flare - smoke is best in daytime)
It is 35km by road from Kaiteriteri to Mapua, allow 40-minutes. Those wishing to car pool should meet at Mapua Wharf area at 10:30am (depart for Kaiteriteri at 11:00am), at the car park on the corner of Aranui Road and Tahi Street. More details about ride sharing will be sent to the entrants the week prior to the event.